There could be so many traumatic experiences in life, and one of these is certainly going through a divorce. It doesn’t only involve the emotional stress that a person has to endure but also the practicalities that a person has to accept and deal with.
It is usually expected that one or both parties are not properly aware of divorce matters, particularly the legalities involved. So, this write-up will focus on the proper steps that must be taken to file a divorce in Dubai to save yourself
Process of Filing a Divorce in UAE
The process of filing and getting a divorce in the UAE depends on the parties involved in the process. The overall setting must be made legal and convenient for both parties, as stated and mentioned clearly in the laws and regulations of UAE. With this said, here is the process of filing a divorce in the UAE.
- For filing a divorce petition, the husband or wife or any other individual in the relationship must register the case with the Family Guidance Section in Dubai or any other Emirate in the UAE.
- At first, the couple will be required to present the marriage proof. This might include a copy of the marriage certificate, Emirate ID, and a copy passport as well. These documents will be required by you to initiate the counseling process which will further serve the separation case. Further, before getting to initiate the process, it will also be made sure that divorce is the solution for the couple.
- After initiating the divorce request, the legal counselors or advocates in Dubai will request a number of sessions that will be required to bring all the parties in proper synchronization regarding the separation. The overall process must not exceed 3 months.
- Your legal advisor will establish mutual consent regarding the child custody, rights of ownership, and distribution of assets. For this, an agreement is drafted to set the final date for a hearing before a judge.
- The next step comes when the prepared or drafted agreement is submitted to the Personal Status Court by the legal representative of both or either party. As the matter is in the United Arab Emirates, it will be translated into Arabic if it is previously in any other language.
- Just when all the initial processes are finalized, the husband and wife will be asked to present before the judge of the First Instance Court. Here the judge will observe the counselor’s agreement and pass judgment on the matter.
- After the magistrate and divorce hear the matter is concluded the matter, the couple will be provided with a divorce certificate.
- Both the husband and wife have a time of 28 days in total to appeal the judgment.
- After receiving the divorce certificate from the court, it should be submitted to the Department of Justice. However, if the couple is non-Emirati, the divorce certificate will also be submitted to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) and the respected embassies of the parties.
- Another matter of importance to consider is that once the divorce certificate is issued, there is no option for reconciliation. So, all in all, the divorce certificate cannot be reversed.
- The matter must also consider alimony, joint custody of children, inheritance, proof of paternity, child custody in mutual divorce, travel bans, etc.
Fee / Amount for Divorce Filing in the UAE
- The charges for initiating a divorce filing and getting a certificate are roughly around AED 500.
- It is also pivotal to note that the attestation of a certificate from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) can additionally cost around AED 1200. The fee amount may vary depending on the consulate of the couple’s native country.
- Another factor to note is that this amount does not include any charges related to legal consultant’s fees.
Divorce Filing for Muslims & Expats
- As for Muslim Couples, the divorce procedure is according to the Shariah Law, which demands that both individuals be legally Muslim or the husband be Muslim.
- As for Expats, filing or getting a divorce in Dubai, UAE, the laws and conditions in the UAE as set by Article 1 of the Federal Law no. 28 of 2005, particularly targeting and solving Personal Affairs, should be dealt with accordingly.
The Final Takeaway
The law and the lawyers focus on suggesting the parties for peaceful conclusion and mediation. However, if the matters have gone out of the range, and divorce is the only solution, it is important to be aware of this process for divorce filling in Dubai bokep barat beforehand.